Thursday, June 23, 2011

Excerpt of 1908 Speech by Eugene V. Debs

"Now my friends, I am opposed to the system of society in which we live today, not because I lack the natural equipment to do for myself but because I am not satisfied to make myself comfortable knowing that there are thousands of my fellow men who suffer for the barest necessities of life. We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man.

Thousands of years ago the question was asked; ''Am I my brother's keeper?'' That question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society.Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality but by the higher duty I owe myself. What would you think me if I were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death." ~ Eugene V. Debs, 1908 speech

With all we have available today at our disposal...Physcially, Mentally, Scientifically, Monetarily, Emotionally and Spiritually...and this speech is still relevant...We must pause to ask ourselves but one question..."Why?"

No comments:

Post a Comment